Fears and Phobias of 25 Big Celebrities
What are YOU afraid of?
We all have our fears--heights, spiders, the dark. You may not believe it, but even rich and famous celebrities have common, everyday fears just like the rest of us.
Fox News reports fears, phobias and fixations have plagued Hollywood for years. In the old days, this was hush-hush. Now we all talk about it. "Bizarre preoccupations and phobias have been around a long time," Jean De Niro, professor of culture and communications at New York University, told Fox reporter Hollie McKay. "The only difference is that nowadays we can discuss them openly, and medics have given every little fear a name of its own."
What scares the stars?
- Jennifer Aniston, Cher, Michael Jackson and Whoopi Goldberg all have a fear of flying.
- Billy Bob Thornton is afraid of antique furniture. "I get creeped out and I can't breathe and I can't eat around it," Thornton once told Sky News. "I've had friends tell me that maybe I was beaten to death with an antique chair in a former life." He's also afraid of bold colors.
- Pamela Anderson fears mirrors. (Does that mean she's afraid to look at her reflection?)
- Johnny Depp, Daniel Radcliffe and Sean "Diddy" Combs are frightened of clowns. "Something about the painted face, the fake smile," Depp said in 1999 when he was promoting the film "Sleepy Hollow." "There always seemed to be a darkness lurking just under the surface, a potential for real evil."
- Orlando Bloom is scared of pigs.
- Country singer Lyle Lovett is terrorized by cows.
- Scarlett Johansson is frightened of cockroaches.
- Nicole Kidman fears butterflies.
- Justin Timberlake gets the chills from snakes, spiders and sharks.
- Uma Thurman is claustrophobic and fears confined spaces. "There was no acting required. Real screams available," she told reporters about the scene in "Kill Bill: Vol. 2" where she is buried alive in a coffin. "It was horrific. Nobody wants to live that experience."
- Kim Basinger and Daryl Hannah are just the opposite, fearing wide, open spaces.
- Carmen Electra, who starred in "Baywatch" is actually scared of water because she can't swim. She once told Sky News that just being near water can give her a panic attack.
- TV's vampire-slayer Sarah Michelle Gellar has a very real fear of graveyards, so real that she refused to film "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" in a real one.
- Rock star Sheryl Crow says heights and hearing "scary" noises frighten her the most.
- Madonna is afraid of thunder.
- Christina Ricci is afraid of indoor plants.
- Matthew McConaughey is scared of tunnels and revolving doors.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt is afraid of the dark and monsters under the bed.
The celebrity with the most phobias is...
Woody Allen. He's afraid of insects, sunshine, dogs, deer, bright colors, children, heights, small rooms, crowds, cancer and anywhere except Manhattan.
What scares you? A Harris Poll national survey of 4,000 adults and 1,600 kids revealed that 56 percent of American adults admit they now fear or once did fear monsters. The survey found that 86 percent of adults and 91 percent of youngsters admitted to being very afraid of something. Nearly one in five adults also said they are scared of more things now than they were as a child.
--From the Editors at Netscape