Reuters Sports News Summary

Following is a summary of current sports news briefs.

New York Mets sign ex-NFL player Tim Tebow

Former National Football League quarterback Tim Tebow has been signed by the New York Mets to a minor league baseball contract, the team said on Thursday. Tebow, 29, who played in the NFL for three years before becoming a television broadcaster, recently showcased his baseball skills for scouts and the media in a bid to launch a second sports career.

F1 governing body welcomes Liberty Media investment

Jean Todt, the head of Formula One's governing body which has to approve any takeover of the sport, said on Thursday he looked forward to working with new owners Liberty Media and welcomed the U.S. company's investment. The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that it had not been involved in negotiations for Liberty to acquire Formula One's parent company from CVC Capital Partners.

UEFA was scared of big clubs, says leagues' boss

UEFA was unnecessarily scared of the big clubs when it negotiated with them over the Champions League's format, the head of the organization representing Europe's domestic football leagues said on Thursday. UEFA announced significant changes to the Champions League last month, with more group stage places set aside for teams from the top four leagues -- effectively Spain, England, Germany and Italy -- and fewer for teams from smaller leagues.

Davis Cup round moved to Peru from Venezuela on security concerns

Peru will host a Davis Cup match between itself and Venezuela after the International Tennis Federation decided that concerns over security in Venezuela, the original site for the event, required a change of venue. The Sept. 16-18 match will be held in Lima instead of Barcelona, Venezuela, the federation said in an emailed response to a Reuters inquiry.

Ex-San Francisco 49er charged with assault of elderly man, son

Former San Francisco 49er Bruce Miller was charged on Thursday with seven felonies including assault with a deadly weapon, described by prosecutors as a cane, in connection with a fight that sent an elderly man and the man's son to a hospital. Miller, 29, who was released by the National Football League team after the incident, was arrested early on Monday after he tried entering a hotel room near the city's Fisherman's Wharf district where a 70-year-old man was staying with his 66-year-old wife, according to San Francisco police.

Liberty takeover offers a longer-term vision for F1

Liberty Media's takeover of Formula One promises a long-term strategy for the cash-rich sport with a sharper focus on new media markets and another attempt to expand in North America. The deal, valued at $8 billion including debt, gives an American media and telecoms business effective control of a sport rather than the more customary situation of such companies paying up to buy rights to screen live events.

Clijsters, Roddick headline Hall of Fame nominations

Former world number one players Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick headlined the list of nominees up for induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The Class of 2017 will be announced early next year, the Newport, Rhode Island-based Hall of Fame said on Thursday.

Lochte banned for 10 months by USOC

American swimmer Ryan Lochte has been suspended for 10 months and will miss next year's world championships for his part in a scandal involving the U.S. athlete and three other swimmers at the Rio Olympics, the United States Olympic Committee said on Thursday. Lochte, who won gold in the 4x200 meters freestyle relay in Rio, will also forfeit bonus money from the Games, monthly funding he receives from USOC and USA Swimming and will not be allowed access to USOC training centers.

Paralympics: Belarus delegate banned after carrying Russian flag at ceremony

A member of the Belarus delegation who carried a Russian flag at the Paralympic opening ceremony to support his country's near-neighbor that is banned from the competition was stripped of his accreditation, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said on Thursday. The man, identified by Russian media as Andrei Fomochkin, director of the Republican Centre of Olympic training for Athletics in Belarus, was hailed as a hero by both Russian and Belarusian officials.

Rio police seek charges against 10 in ticket scalping ring

Brazilian police recommended on Thursday that 10 people be charged in a ticket-touting ring uncovered at the Rio Games, including the man who until recently was Europe's top Olympic official. They also said they hope International Olympic Committee head Thomas Bach will provide witness testimony in the case, although they added that he is not a suspect.

09/08/2016 19:53

News, Photo and Web Search

Search News by Ticker