Top 25 Cities With the Most Mosquitoes
Look out for the skeeters in Atlanta!
And don't think those pesky critters are only in the deep South. Following on the heels of Atlanta for having the most mosquitoes in the United States are Washington, D.C. and Chicago, according to the annual list produced by Orkin.
The top 25 U.S. cities with the most mosquitoes in 2017:
1. Atlanta, Georgia
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago, Illinois
4. New York City, New York
5. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
6. Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
7. Houston, Texas
8. Detroit, Michigan
9. Charlotte, North Carolina
10. Nashville, Tennessee
11. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Florida
12. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Florida
13. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Virginia
14. Memphis, Tennessee
15. Mobile-Pensacola, Florida
16. West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Florida
17. Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
18. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Michigan
19. Boston, Massachusetts
20. Phoenix, Arizona
21. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
22. Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina; Asheville, North Carolina
23. Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia
24. Kansas City, Missouri
25. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio
Orkin offers these tips to help you make your yard and home less mosquito-friendly:
- Remove standing water buckets, toys and other containers, as mosquitoes can breed in just an inch of standing water.
- Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants and any containers that hold standing water.
- Keep pool water treated and circulating.
- Regularly clean gutters so water doesn't pool.
- Trim shrubbery, as adult mosquitoes like to rest in dark areas with high humidity, such as under the leaves of lush vegetation.
- Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent entry.
- Close gaps around windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting inside.
--From the Editors at Netscape