The Average Wedding Costs WHAT?
If you're the father of the bride, you might want to look for a second job.
The average cost of a wedding is $31,213, up 4.5 percent from just one year ago. Oh, and that doesn't even count the honeymoon.
It could be worse: Just like real estate, the cost is affected by location. If your wedding is in the New York City/northern New Jersey area, expect to pay $50,000 or more.
That's the word from the annual survey by TheKnot.com of nearly 16,000 U.S. brides and grooms who were married in 2014. The poll's purpose is to reveal the financial spending habits and trends of real weddings in America.
Here's an interesting trend: While the cost of a wedding is rising, guest lists are shrinking. The average wedding now has 136 guests, down from 149 in 2009.
Fun facts to know and tell about the average costs of weddings:
- Most expensive wedding location: Manhattan at $76,328, on average
- Least expensive wedding location: Utah at $15,257, on average
- Wedding/Event Planner: $1,973
- Ceremony site: $1,901
- Officiant: $266
- Reception venue: $14,006
- Reception band: $3,587
- Reception DJ: $1,124
- Photographer: $2,556
- Videographer: $1,794
- Wedding gown: $1,357
- Groom's attire: $254
- Florist/décor: $2,141
- Invitations: $439
- Wedding cake: $555
- Ceremony musicians: $637
- Catering cost per guest: $68
- Transportation/limousine: $767
- Favors: $275
- Rehearsal dinner: $1,206
- Engagement ring: $5,855
(These figures are based on respondents who hired a professional vendor for the service.)
Other fun facts to know and tell:
- Average number of guests: 136
- Destination weddings: 24 percent
- Average age of the bride: 29
- Average age of the groom: 31
- Number of bridesmaids and groomsmen: 4 to 5
- Average length of the engagement: 14 months
- Most popular engagement month: December (16 percent)
- Most popular wedding months: June (15 percent) and October (14 percent)
- Most popular wedding colors: Ivory/white (44 percent), blue (37 percent), pink (28 percent), metallic (26 percent), dark blue (24 percent) and purple (23 percent)
--From the Editors at Netscape