This is more than dessert. Made from flour, sugar and milk with a little butter and vanilla, a fortune cookie can be everything from fun entertainment to a weird sort of compliment to advice on how to play the lottery.
Fortune cookies can predict the mundane or the outrageous. And chances are they are funny as all get out. Confusing, too!
Here are 25 of the best as collected by Rinkworks.com.
1. "You will find a bushel of money."
2. "Your smile will tell you what makes you feel good."
3. "You are going to have some new clothes."
4. "Your family is young, gifted and attractive."
5. "There is a true and sincere friendship between you both."
6. "The night life is for you."
7. "Face facts with dignity."
8. "You are magnetic in your bearing."
9. "You are free to invent your life."
10. "Good sense is the master of human life."
11. "Maybe someday we will live on the moon!"
12. "Don't panic."
13. "If you don't have time to live your life now, when will you?"
14. "Ignorance never settles a question."
15. "The best year-round temperature is a warm heart and a cool head."
16. "Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise, and balance."
17. "Simplicity and clarity should be your theme in dress."
18. "You have a potential urge and the ability for accomplishment."
19. "Do you believe? Endurance and persistence will be rewarded."
20. "Good Luck bestows upon you. You will get what your heart desires."
21. "Pat yourself on the back for creating an opportunity."
22. "It could be better, but it's good enough."
23. "You will find a thing. It may be important."
24. "The calling that has sounded will not be the lasting call."
25. "In youth and beauty, wisdom is rare."
Here's a fun story: On March 30, 2005, there were an unprecedented 110 second-place winners of the Powerball lottery, all of whom had played the numbers they got in a fortune cookie. The first five were all correct, but the sixth (40) did not match the Powerball number of 42. The total payout came to $19.4 million with 89 tickets winning $100,000 and 21 additional tickets winning $500,000 due to the Power Play multiplier option.
Superstitions surrounding fortune cookies:
--From the Editors at Netscape
- The cookie must be eaten for the fortune to come true.
- The fortune must be read before any of the cookie is consumed or it won't come true.
- The fortune must be read aloud to come true.
- The cookie must be chosen with your eyes closed.